UVU basketball: Idaho's shooting touch too much for Wolverine women
Utah Valley University ran into another hot-shooting opponent Thursday night as it fell, 96-55, to the University of Idaho at the UCCU Center. The loss drops the Wolverines to 0-3 in WAC play, including a pair of home losses.
Utah Valley (3-13, 0-3 WAC) got 10 points apiece from true freshman Rhaiah Spooner-Knight and sophomore Sam Loggins, the former of whom recorded her fifth consecutive double figure scoring output. Rebecca MaWhinney, another true freshman, added nine points off the bench behind two made 3-pointers.
Loggins, who also had two blocks, hauled in seven rebounds as did guard Georgia Agnew — a new season-high for the freshman from Hamilton, New Zealand.
Meanwhile, the visiting Vandals (12-7, 5-0 WAC) saw four players reach double digits, led by Preaseason All-WAC selections Stacey Barr and Alyssa Charlston who scored 21 and 20 points, respectively.
Barr and Charlston's combined 41 points helped Idaho to 54 percent shooting for the game, not to mention a 52 percent mark from distance as the Vandals buried 13-of-25 3-point attempts in the game. Barr converted three of those treys while Christina Salvatore, who set the Vandal program's all-time mark for made threes in a season last year, knocked down four.
The Wolverines found the bulk of their offense inside, scoring 32 points in the paint. Loggins and Spooner-Knight helped power that effort, but guard Tina Doughty scored all seven of her points on a handful of slashes through the paint.
Utah Valley will have less than a day to regroup for yet another stiff test when reigning WAC champion and preseason league-favorite Seattle University visits Orem on Saturday. That game will get underway at 3 p.m. in the PE Building. The Redhawks suffered their second WAC loss on Thursday night when they dropped a tight 80-78 decision at Bakersfield.
Kellen Hiser is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend with...
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to Friday...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third place...
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 17
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep... 0