High school football: Bingham's No. 1 nationally ranked TE Dalton Schultz commits to Stanford
Ben Brewer, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN – The No. 1-rated tight end in the nation had a forest of scholarships offers to choose. On Thursday, he found the tree he wanted to build his career with.
Bingham’s Dalton Schultz, listed at 6-foot-6 and 235-pounds, announced his commitment to Stanford via Twitter, and the Deseret News confirmed his decision with Bingham coach Dave Peck.
“I think Dalton has as much upside as any kid that I’ve ever coached,” Peck said. “I know that Stanford in particular feels like Dalton has a chance to come in and play right off. They love not only how he catches the ball, but I think the thing they love the most is how he is as a blocker. He punishes people.”
Schultz was named the Region 3 Offensive MVP after helping the Miners capture the 5A state championship with an undefeated 14-0 record. He finished the 2013 season with 32 receptions for 499 yards and eight touchdowns.
“I think he fits perfect (at Stanford). I would say there’s not another school in the nation right now that uses their tight ends as much as Stanford does,” Peck said. “They’re a top 5, nationally ranked program and I think it’s a perfect system for Dalton.”
He eventually narrowed his offers, which included Arizona State, BYU, Florida, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Tennessee, UCLA, USC and Wisconsin down to three schools: Stanford, Utah and Notre Dame. Earlier this week he eliminated the Irish from consideration and was expected to make an official visit with Utah this upcoming weekend.
“Utah was the first one to offer him and he was a Utah fan growing up, so I know that was a tough decision,” Peck said. “Does he stay in-state where everybody can follow his career and watch his games or does he take one of these other schools that are high-profile, nationally-ranked teams that have great national recognition?
“You look at it at the end, if you’re a graduate from Stanford, shoot I think you’re pretty well connected for life.”
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0