Westminster basketball: Griffins open three-game home stand against Western on Saturday
The fourth-ranked Westminster College women’s basketball team begins a three-game home stand on Saturday when it welcomes Montana Western to the Behnken Field House. The Griffins only game of the week has an early start time of 2 p.m. MST.
The action on Saturday will be shown live on Griffins TV and on Comcast 6 in northern Utah. Mike Lageschulte handles the play-by-play with analyst Lance Barton. Live stats will also be available for the action.
The Griffins enter Saturday at 11-2 on the season and riding a season-long four-game winning streak. They are a perfect 4-0 at home this season, and they have won 16 straight home games dating back to last season. Westminster has played just one home game since Nov. 8, defeating Montana Tech, 61-43, on Jan. 4.
Westminster is scoring 68.69 points per game while ranking eighth in the NAIA by shooting 45.6 percent from the floor. The Griffins lead the nation in 3-point field goal percentage by making 41.8 percent of their attempts from deep. The Griffins make 8.38 threes per night to rank 10th in the NAIA while placing 19th in the NAIA with an average of 15.77 assist per night.
On the defensive end, Westminster is allowing 56.77 points per game and ranks sixth in the nation in that department. Griffin opponents shoot 39.8 percent from the field and 33.2 percent from beyond the arc. Westminster limits the opposition to 30.46 rebounds per game to rank second nationally. The Griffins are forcing 15.31 turnovers per game with an average of 8.23 steals per contest.
Alli Blake currently leads the team in scoring at 14.54 points per game with Shelby Ellsworth chipping in 11.23 points per night. Blake also leads the team with 59 assists, 35th in the NAIA, while Ellsworth is tops on the squad with 84 rebounds. Tia Pappas takes 1.92 steals per game, and Alli Winters makes a NAIA-best 62.5 percent from three and makes 2.69 per contest.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 46
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 44
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 40
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6