Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Six months after the LDS Church began using the first new film for temple instruction in 20 years, a second new film is in rotation.
“An additional temple film is now in use," said Cody Craynor, spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "As with previous films, this second instructional presentation is rotated with the film released this past July to give variety.
"Like the first film in use there have been no changes to the script. English-language copies of the new film are being sent to temples over the next few weeks and will subsequently be translated into other languages.”
Since the 1970s, a portion of LDS temple instruction has been provided through pre-recorded media, including film.
Mormon temple worship occurs in 141 dedicated temples around the world. LDS temple worship differs from regular Sunday worship services held by 29,014 congregations in buildings called chapels or meetinghouses.
Instead, temples are used for the faith's highest and most sacred ordinances, such as marriage, and making covenants with God to be more like Jesus Christ. Due to the sacred nature of temples, they are reserved for active church members who are observing the basic principles of the faith, whereas weekly Sunday services in meetinghouses are open to people of all ages and faiths.
Out of reverence for what Latter-day Saints consider the sacred nature of temple worship, Mormons are admonished to be circumspect about discussing the details of temple instruction.
The church's 142nd temple will open this spring in Gilbert, Ariz. The public is invited to tour the new temple during an open house beginning Saturday and running through Feb. 15. That temple will be dedicated on March 2.
More information about LDS temples is available at mormonnewsroom.org/topic/temples.
- Mormon Taylor Swift look-alike draws national...
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- After 3rd round of Hollywood Week on...
- 'Rich and fascinating': New online database...
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan shares...
- Maintaining faith during LDS Church meeting...
- Family history enthusiasts are 'heart...
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 33
- Elder Andersen addresses USU students... 22
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 21
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- In Our Lovely Deseret: The courtship... 12
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 9
- Taylor Halverson: The Book of Mormon... 7
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan... 7