Mike Zimmer latest from the Mike Price coaching tree to find success
The owners of Minnesota Vikings will hire Mike Zimmer as the team's new head coach, CBS Sports reported Wednesday, adding to the coaching tree legacy of former Weber State University head coach Mike Price.
It's Zimmer's first gig as a head coach at any level of football.
"I thought (Zimmer) would have been a head coach a long time ago," Price told the Pioneer Press Monday, in an article about Zimmer. "Maybe it's because he's honest and blunt and tells the truth. He's real. He's not a phony. He's very well respected in the profession, and he's really a players' coach. He's a strong disciplinarian, but the players just love him."
Price took over the Weber State job in 1981 and hired Zimmer as a linebackers coach that season. Zimmer eventually spent eight seasons under Price as a linebackers and defensive backs for the Wildcats, before leaving with Price to be the defensive coordinator at Washington State.
Zimmer has since had stints with the Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons and Cincinnati Bengals. He was the Bengals' defensive coordinator before reportedly taking the Vikings' head coaching position.
Zimmer isn't the only coaching success under Price.
Price coached Weber State until 1988 and went 46-44. However, his biggest legacy was the coaching tree he assembled, which includes Zimmer.
In addition to Zimmer, Bobby Petrino, Dave Campo, Gregg Brandon and Dave Arslanian were assistants under Price at one point or another in the eight seasons in Ogden, Utah.
Petrino took over the Louisville head coaching job for the second time last week, while Campo spent three seasons as the Cowboys' head coach and currently oversees the defense at the University of Kansas.
Arslanian coached at Utah State University for two years in the late 1990s.
After Price left the Wildcats for Washington State, he coached James Franklin, who accepted the Penn State head coaching job last week, and current Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 116
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 32
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21