Mike Zimmer latest from the Mike Price coaching tree to find success
The owners of Minnesota Vikings will hire Mike Zimmer as the team's new head coach, CBS Sports reported Wednesday, adding to the coaching tree legacy of former Weber State University head coach Mike Price.
It's Zimmer's first gig as a head coach at any level of football.
"I thought (Zimmer) would have been a head coach a long time ago," Price told the Pioneer Press Monday, in an article about Zimmer. "Maybe it's because he's honest and blunt and tells the truth. He's real. He's not a phony. He's very well respected in the profession, and he's really a players' coach. He's a strong disciplinarian, but the players just love him."
Price took over the Weber State job in 1981 and hired Zimmer as a linebackers coach that season. Zimmer eventually spent eight seasons under Price as a linebackers and defensive backs for the Wildcats, before leaving with Price to be the defensive coordinator at Washington State.
Zimmer has since had stints with the Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons and Cincinnati Bengals. He was the Bengals' defensive coordinator before reportedly taking the Vikings' head coaching position.
Zimmer isn't the only coaching success under Price.
Price coached Weber State until 1988 and went 46-44. However, his biggest legacy was the coaching tree he assembled, which includes Zimmer.
In addition to Zimmer, Bobby Petrino, Dave Campo, Gregg Brandon and Dave Arslanian were assistants under Price at one point or another in the eight seasons in Ogden, Utah.
Petrino took over the Louisville head coaching job for the second time last week, while Campo spent three seasons as the Cowboys' head coach and currently oversees the defense at the University of Kansas.
Arslanian coached at Utah State University for two years in the late 1990s.
After Price left the Wildcats for Washington State, he coached James Franklin, who accepted the Penn State head coaching job last week, and current Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26