Single mother from Argentina dies after being hit by a truck in Provo
John Roman, Getty Images/iStockphoto
PROVO — A single mother of three girls was killed Wednesday after being hit by a truck near 700 North and University Avenue.
Police received a call of a woman who was struck by a vehicle about 6:20 a.m., according to Provo Police Lt. Matt Siufanua.
Rosa Merino, 42, was crossing University Avenue from east to west in a crosswalk when she was hit by a 1985 GMC pickup truck, Siufanua said. The truck was driven by a man in his early 50s. Merino was wearing dark clothes at the time, police said.
Merino, whose daughters are 16, 14 and 12, is from Argentina. Most of her family lives in Argentina, so the girls were taken into custody by the Utah Department of Child and Family Services on Wednesday.
Merino was reportedly walking to work because her vehicle was having brake problems, Siufanua said.
Investigators are working to determine whether Merino or the driver had the right of way and will review their findings Thursday, Siufanua said. Police do not believe alcohol or drugs played a role in the accident.
Dispatchers coached those who were on the scene with Merino on how to help her. They could not feel a breath or a pulse, so they began CPR.
Responding paramedics were able to revive Merino enough to get a weak pulse. She was taken to a local hospital, where she later died.
Siufanua warned pedestrians to be careful when crossing roads.
"This is a very busy street, with lots of pedestrians, students and others who walk this every morning. At 6:20 (a.m.), it's pretty dark and you just have to be so careful when you're crossing a road like this, especially if you’re going to be wearing dark clothing," he said.
Contributing: McKenzie Romero, Mary Richards
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Men and women: Understanding the wage gap is...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Troopers identify Colorado man as victim of...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Police: Intruder attacks homeowner with...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 27
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 7