Single mother from Argentina dies after being hit by a truck in Provo
John Roman, Getty Images/iStockphoto
PROVO — A single mother of three girls was killed Wednesday after being hit by a truck near 700 North and University Avenue.
Police received a call of a woman who was struck by a vehicle about 6:20 a.m., according to Provo Police Lt. Matt Siufanua.
Rosa Merino, 42, was crossing University Avenue from east to west in a crosswalk when she was hit by a 1985 GMC pickup truck, Siufanua said. The truck was driven by a man in his early 50s. Merino was wearing dark clothes at the time, police said.
Merino, whose daughters are 16, 14 and 12, is from Argentina. Most of her family lives in Argentina, so the girls were taken into custody by the Utah Department of Child and Family Services on Wednesday.
Merino was reportedly walking to work because her vehicle was having brake problems, Siufanua said.
Investigators are working to determine whether Merino or the driver had the right of way and will review their findings Thursday, Siufanua said. Police do not believe alcohol or drugs played a role in the accident.
Dispatchers coached those who were on the scene with Merino on how to help her. They could not feel a breath or a pulse, so they began CPR.
Responding paramedics were able to revive Merino enough to get a weak pulse. She was taken to a local hospital, where she later died.
Siufanua warned pedestrians to be careful when crossing roads.
"This is a very busy street, with lots of pedestrians, students and others who walk this every morning. At 6:20 (a.m.), it's pretty dark and you just have to be so careful when you're crossing a road like this, especially if you’re going to be wearing dark clothing," he said.
Contributing: McKenzie Romero, Mary Richards
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Living — or dying — with...
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling on...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 239
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 93
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 86
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 66
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 60
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 43
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35