West Jordan police patrol area following possible abduction attempt
WEST JORDAN — Police have beefed up their patrols around Jordan Hills Elementary School following a report of a possible abduction attempt.
Friday afternoon, a 10-year-old girl, her 5-year-old brother and a 7-year-old girl were walking home from school, 8892 S. 4800 West. The trio told police that in the area of 8700 South and 4500 West, a gold-colored car with two people inside pulled up next to them and told them to get in, said West Jordan Police Sgt. Dan Roberts.
No one got out of the car or tried to grab the children, he said.
Instead, the children ran home and told one of their mothers what had happened. The mother called police.
On Monday, the school heard about what had happened and sent an email out to parents asking them to remind their children about stranger danger and what to do if they're approached by someone they don't know, Roberts said.
Officers have been making extra patrols in that area since Friday and will continue to do so the rest of the week, he said.
"These things happen on occasion, not regularly. But often enough we take them seriously and look into them," he said.
There was a similar incident reported in December, Roberts said. That one involved a white truck. In November, there was a report of a man following some children. Police located the man who told them he was only out exercising and apologized for walking the same way as the students.
Anyone with information on Friday's incident, or any other similar incident, can call police at 801-840-4000.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Provo ranked 4th most educated city in...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls officer...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 80
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 68
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 48
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 24
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 16