Move over Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick, LeBron James is the subject of the newest sports-related social media craze.
“LeBroning” is a sensation that mocks the ongoing Miami Heat star’s flopping on the court — and it’s sweeping across the country. But instead of as a pose like “Tebowing” or “Kaepernicking,” LeBroning is an act.
“(LeBroning) is the action of throwing yourself to the floor after a light brush by another player, person or animal. (It’s) followed by an angry facial expression claiming it is not in any way your fault that you are on the ground,” according to balloverall.com.
Chase Hoffberger, at dailydot.com, said it's easy to pick on the two-time champion because James' size doesn't match up with the way he's always being knocked to the ground.
"Despite being 6'8", 250 lbs., the four-time MVP possesses a penchant for collapsing unceremoniously onto the court upon even the slightest touch from an opposing player," wrote Hoffberger, "an obvious ploy to draw a foul from the officials."
The fad has spread rapidly through social media, such as Vine and Twitter.
ESPN talk show host Stephen A. Smith, however, is not a fan of LeBroning and the mockery behind the four-time NBA MVP.
“We’re dealing with a disrespectful generation,” Smith said Tuesday on ESPN’s First Take. “They have no context for history, don’t respect their elders (and) don’t know how to act the other side to that is again, usually greatness breeds envy and jealousy. If you can’t join them, then hate on them. That’s exactly what’s transpiring.”
LeBroning fans, though, were quick to defend the new Internet sensation.
is espn serious? "Lebroning" is disrespectful and people doing it are haters? STOP IT. it's just comedy— Kilo Delta (@Ya_Boii_DeemZ) January 14, 2014
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27