Laura Seitz, Laura Seitz, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — Award-winning author Sharon Ewell Foster and educator and musician Dennis Slaughter will headline Salt Lake Community College’s 2014 Martin Luther King Jr. commemorative events later this month.
Foster and Slaughter will take part in a panel discussion at noon Jan. 29 in the Oak Room of the Student Center on the College’s Taylorsville Redwood Campus, 4600 S. Redwood.
“We’re delighted to have Ms. Foster and Dr. Slaughter come here and participate with us as we honor the life of Dr. King and his vision, which was a society free from racism, militarism and poverty,” said panel moderator John McCormick, dean of the SLCC School of Humanities and Social Sciences, borrowing from King’s 1967 “A Time to Break Silence” speech at New York City’s Riverside Church.
The SLCC Martin Luther King Celebration Committee also is honoring three people with its 2014 MLK Humanitarian Award: Charlene Lui, director of educational equality for Granite School District; Joshua Gold, SLCC political science associate professor; and Joy Tlou, SLCC director of public relations.
Foster will also visit students in classes on Jan. 28 and Jan. 30. Slaughter will join the George Brown Jazz Ensemble and several vocalists for the “Remembering MLK Through Story and Song” concert at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 30 in the multipurpose room at South City Campus, 1575 S. State.
Foster has been awarded the NAACP Book of the Year and the Black Writers Alliance Golden Pen. Slaughter is currently an organizational specialist with the National Education Association and the artistic director for the Boston Community Choir.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Body of overdue hiker found in Zion National...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 77
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 35
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 21
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18