Courtesy Utah Highway Patrol
GARDEN CITY, Rich County — A woman was killed and two others injured after a car crash in Logan Canyon Monday.
Becky Green, 58, of Garden City, died in the accident.
At 10:38 a.m., Utah Highway Patrol troopers responded to a head-on collision on U.S. 89 near milepost 495 about three miles from Garden City, according to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce.
A Chevrolet Suburban was heading north on the highway toward Garden City. While navigating a curve traveling about 35 to 40 mph, the driver ran into a snow drift and slick roads, said UHP Lt. Lee Perry. The driver tried to slow down and lost control of the vehicle, veering into southbound traffic.
The driver of a GMC Sierra heading southwest spotted the Suburban and drove as close to the right side of the road as he could, driving up against the metal guard rail, according to troopers.
The two vehicles collided head on. Green, a passenger in the GMC, was not wearing a seat belt and died at the scene. According to Royce, Green had a medical condition that made wearing a seatbelt difficult.
Both drivers suffered minor injuries and were both treated at Logan Regional Hospital and later released.
The Rich County Attorney's Office will determine whether the driver of the Suburban will face charges, Perry said.
He encouraged drivers to use caution when navigating curves.
"You have to slow down. If you come into a situation where you start to feel like you're loosing control, the best thing to do is take your foot off the gas and steer," Perry said. "Brakes are really your enemy."
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- South Jordan mayor says idea to split Jordan...
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 26
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 14
- No money for House Speaker Becky... 13