Fairview man dies after 2 tractor-trailer trucks crash near Myton
Utah Highway Patrol
MYTON, Duchesne County — A crash between two tractor-trailer trucks on U.S. 40 east of Myton left one person dead Sunday and shut down the road for more than four hours.
Cody Smith, of Fairview, Sanpete County, was driving on westbound U.S. 40 about 4:30 a.m. when he struck the rear axle of an empty trailer being pulled by an oncoming semitruck, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. The empty trailer had drifted into Smith's lane, troopers said.
"It was more of a side-swipe crash," UHP Lt. Jeff Chugg said.
The crash was so loud a crew working on an oil drilling rig near the highway heard it and called dispatchers to report it, Chugg said.
Smith, 54, was taken to Uintah Basin Medical Center in critical condition. He was later flown to University Hospital, where he died of his injuries.
The driver of the other truck was uninjured, Chugg said. Troopers did not release the man's name.
The cause of the crash is still under investigation. Troopers suspect weather may have been a factor because the road was slick and the area was being buffeted by gusting winds.
"We think wind, along with ice, might have shifted the (empty) trailer," Chugg said.
— Geoff Liesik
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11