Crude reality: North Dakota oil boom has Utah envying its surplus green
State officials see federal control as blocking source of revenue, education funding
Added Rogers: "Goblin Valley, Dead Horse State Park, Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. We don't drill there now and we never would. I don't see it happening."
But Wagner points to legal challenges that have been launched against the division and other state agencies over a permitting process he says is way too lackadaisical and pro-business.
"The state is gambling our future for short-term profits and jobs," Wagner said. "Trust the state government? No way. I do not."
The retort from those at the helm of that state government is loud, clear and a bit indignant: that federal control is somehow better because Utahns in charge are either incompetent or greedy.
"Why do we suppose that a federal government that is broke, that spent over a trillion dollars in the first six weeks of this fiscal year why do we suppose that type of failed political management would be somehow better?" Ivory said, showing his exasperation.
"Why do they suppose that somehow we can't govern ourselves, but people east of Colorado can? That's just nonsensical."
Monday: A look at the problems and solutions surrounding Utah's energy development.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: amyjoi16
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- South Jordan mayor says idea to split Jordan...
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 26
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 14
- No money for House Speaker Becky... 13