Day one of the BYU Invitational concluded Friday with four first places for the BYU women’s squad, highlighted by Alyssa Monteverde winning the pentathlon with 3,677 points.
“It was a good opener, the hurdles and high jump were my strong events,” sophomore Monteverde said of the opener for the indoor season. “I think we started out solid. It's only up from here and I’m really excited for our meet at Air Force."
“Coming off of Christmas break was difficult but it was a good meet to find out where we are at, get our feet under us and get ready for the rest of the season,” Wilson said. “I think my performance today indicated there is a lot of room for growth and improvement, and up is the only direction to go.”
In the vertical jumps, BYU senior Rachel Fisher took first in the pole vault with 3.90m (12-09.5), while freshman Margaret Appiah took first in high jump with 1.68m (5-06.25). Senior Deezbaa Whaley represented the throwers well and took second in the weight throw with 17.12m (56-02).
“ I think it was a nice, solid opening day and I saw some really good things happening in all of the categories,” BYU head coach Ed Eyestone said. “The coaching staff has been working hard to get our athletes ready to go and they are well prepared, well coached and are doing a good job.”
The meet will continue Saturday at the BYU Smith Fieldhouse, beginning with the running events at 12:45 p.m. with the 60-meter hurdle trials.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12