High school boys basketball: Mountain View escapes with 52-47 win over neighbor Timpanogos
OREM — It's seldom easy to win on the road against a region foe. Mountain View found that out Friday night in its hard-fought 52-47 victory over crosstown rival Timpanogos.
The Bruins withstood a furious last-minute rally, led by Timberwolves senior Zach Facemyer, to escape with the win.
"It's always good to win on the road in region, but yeah, we really have some things we need to work on following this one," said Bruin coach Nate Carling.
The big lesson is simply closing out a team when you have it on the ropes.
Mountain View appeared poised to coast to victory up 48-35 with just 4:13 remaining, but Timpanogos, and particularly Facemyer, had other ideas.
The Timberwolves' standout senior scored every point during a 12-2 scoring run that nearly brought his team all the way back.
Facemyer finished with 21 points — 14 of which came in the fourth quarter.
"They really played well and they're a great team," Carling said. "It's never easy closing out a team like that on the road, but we certainly have to do a better job than we did tonight. We'll work on that this coming week for sure."
The good news for Mountain View was that it was able to build a big lead before the furious last-minute charge.
The Bruins took an early advantage and slowly built it to double-digits at the half — entering the locker room up 29-19. The Timberwolves chipped away at the lead in the third to be down only six points, 39-33, entering the fourth.
"We were able to put some good pressure on them early in the game and that led to some turnovers and easy baskets," Carling said. "It's a good thing we built that lead. We needed it, turns out."
With the win Mountain View improves to 10-1 on the year and 1-0 in region play. It will next travel to take on Murray this coming Tuesday. Timpanogos falls to 5-7 on the year and 0-1 in region play. Next up for the Timberwolves is a road game against Orem, also on Tuesday.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 43
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 35
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25