Man accused of abusing girlfriend's baby charged with murder
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man arrested after his girlfriend's baby died of abuse has been charged with murder.
Brian Luther Taylor, 24, was charged with first-degree felony murder Friday in 3rd District Court.
Taylor was alone with his girlfriend's 1-year-old son, Xander Toliver, for between two and six minutes on Dec. 30 when the baby sustained a subdural hemorrhage on the right side of his brain that took his life Jan. 2, charging documents state.
The baby's mother had left Xander drinking a bottle with Taylor in the room. When she returned, Taylor was standing next the crib and the baby was gasping for breath and was "floppy and unresponsive," charges state.
Taylor was arrested and booked into Salt Lake County Jail on Dec. 30 after doctors at Primary Children's Hospital called police to report possible abuse.
State court records show Taylor has a minor criminal history in Utah, including a misdemeanor conviction earlier this year for selling tobacco products to a minor.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- Bingham High students walk out over... 65
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 23
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18