Man accused of abusing girlfriend's baby charged with murder
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man arrested after his girlfriend's baby died of abuse has been charged with murder.
Brian Luther Taylor, 24, was charged with first-degree felony murder Friday in 3rd District Court.
Taylor was alone with his girlfriend's 1-year-old son, Xander Toliver, for between two and six minutes on Dec. 30 when the baby sustained a subdural hemorrhage on the right side of his brain that took his life Jan. 2, charging documents state.
The baby's mother had left Xander drinking a bottle with Taylor in the room. When she returned, Taylor was standing next the crib and the baby was gasping for breath and was "floppy and unresponsive," charges state.
Taylor was arrested and booked into Salt Lake County Jail on Dec. 30 after doctors at Primary Children's Hospital called police to report possible abuse.
State court records show Taylor has a minor criminal history in Utah, including a misdemeanor conviction earlier this year for selling tobacco products to a minor.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 50
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 45
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 17
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7