Man accused of abusing girlfriend's baby charged with murder
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man arrested after his girlfriend's baby died of abuse has been charged with murder.
Brian Luther Taylor, 24, was charged with first-degree felony murder Friday in 3rd District Court.
Taylor was alone with his girlfriend's 1-year-old son, Xander Toliver, for between two and six minutes on Dec. 30 when the baby sustained a subdural hemorrhage on the right side of his brain that took his life Jan. 2, charging documents state.
The baby's mother had left Xander drinking a bottle with Taylor in the room. When she returned, Taylor was standing next the crib and the baby was gasping for breath and was "floppy and unresponsive," charges state.
Taylor was arrested and booked into Salt Lake County Jail on Dec. 30 after doctors at Primary Children's Hospital called police to report possible abuse.
State court records show Taylor has a minor criminal history in Utah, including a misdemeanor conviction earlier this year for selling tobacco products to a minor.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Utahn Merlin Taylor is Santa with a cause
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 121
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 27
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12