Man accused of abusing girlfriend's baby charged with murder
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man arrested after his girlfriend's baby died of abuse has been charged with murder.
Brian Luther Taylor, 24, was charged with first-degree felony murder Friday in 3rd District Court.
Taylor was alone with his girlfriend's 1-year-old son, Xander Toliver, for between two and six minutes on Dec. 30 when the baby sustained a subdural hemorrhage on the right side of his brain that took his life Jan. 2, charging documents state.
The baby's mother had left Xander drinking a bottle with Taylor in the room. When she returned, Taylor was standing next the crib and the baby was gasping for breath and was "floppy and unresponsive," charges state.
Taylor was arrested and booked into Salt Lake County Jail on Dec. 30 after doctors at Primary Children's Hospital called police to report possible abuse.
State court records show Taylor has a minor criminal history in Utah, including a misdemeanor conviction earlier this year for selling tobacco products to a minor.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 42
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16