Movement detected in Kennecott mine prompts partial closure
Ravell Call, Deseret News
BINGHAM CANYON — Workers at the bottom of Kennecott Utah Copper's Bingham Canyon Mine were evacuated Friday after about 150 feet of material shifted unexpectedly.
An employee first noticed the movement about 12:30 p.m. Friday, confirmed by ground monitoring, which triggered a precautionary evacuation of employees and contractors in the bottom of the pit, said Kennecott spokesman Justin Jones.
"It isn't uncommon in mining activity to see movement like this, but of course our No. 1 concern is keeping our mine employees safe, so we went ahead and made this precautionary move to prevent any injuries, Jones said.
Workers above the small slide and in other areas of the mine were allowed to continue work.
A section about 150 feet wide in the northeastern area of the mine shifted downward Friday, Jones said. Crews hadn't approached the area to measure how far down it moved.
No additional movement was seen or expected. All employees were told to continue reporting for work, and the closed areas of the mine could be reopened by Saturday morning, Jones said.
The slide was in the same area as a record-breaking slide in April that sent 165 million tons of earth into the bottom of the world's largest pit mine. New data about the slide revealed the massive movement triggered 16 earthquakes.
A small slide also prompted a brief evacuation at the mine in September.
— McKenzie Romero
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 22
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 20
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15