This is why the move by Rose to find a way to get more outside shooting into his lineup looms big in recent wins over San Diego and Pepperdine. There are seven WCC teams that shoot better from distance than the Cougars according to statistics released after BYU’s win over San Diego a week ago.
The Cougars need Matt Carlino, a talented streak shooter, to find his rhythm.
But while he’s undergoing a rewiring of his confidence neurons, JC transfer Skyler Halford has been a solid aid.
Since inserting Halford into the starting lineup and giving him starter’s minutes, Halford has averaged 23 points in two games. He’s 18-of-40 from the field (45 percent) and 6-of-14 (42.8 percent) from 3-point range.
The league’s top 3-point artist is Gonzaga’s Kevin Pangos (51-of-106 for 48 percent). The second-leading 3-point performer is Pangos’ teammate Gary Bell (30-of-63, 47 percent).
It doesn’t take a genius to see what is making the difference in the WCC.
BYU does not have any player in the WCC top-15 in 3-point field goals made, and at the beginning of the week the 15th-ranked guy in the league had 24. After Thursday, Haws has 21, Carlino 20 and Halford 17. The Cougars have generally found ways to win with transition conversions on the break.
But now they’re in league play where game winners are throwing in bombs.
It’s going to take outside shooters to compete.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 70
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 49
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 43