This is why the move by Rose to find a way to get more outside shooting into his lineup looms big in recent wins over San Diego and Pepperdine. There are seven WCC teams that shoot better from distance than the Cougars according to statistics released after BYU’s win over San Diego a week ago.
The Cougars need Matt Carlino, a talented streak shooter, to find his rhythm.
But while he’s undergoing a rewiring of his confidence neurons, JC transfer Skyler Halford has been a solid aid.
Since inserting Halford into the starting lineup and giving him starter’s minutes, Halford has averaged 23 points in two games. He’s 18-of-40 from the field (45 percent) and 6-of-14 (42.8 percent) from 3-point range.
The league’s top 3-point artist is Gonzaga’s Kevin Pangos (51-of-106 for 48 percent). The second-leading 3-point performer is Pangos’ teammate Gary Bell (30-of-63, 47 percent).
It doesn’t take a genius to see what is making the difference in the WCC.
BYU does not have any player in the WCC top-15 in 3-point field goals made, and at the beginning of the week the 15th-ranked guy in the league had 24. After Thursday, Haws has 21, Carlino 20 and Halford 17. The Cougars have generally found ways to win with transition conversions on the break.
But now they’re in league play where game winners are throwing in bombs.
It’s going to take outside shooters to compete.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 63
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 45
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 16
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8