Kamil Krzaczynski, Associated Press file photo
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward, the team's leading scorer with an average of 17.1 points per game, may have to sit out tonight's home game against the Cleveland Cavaliers with a left hip flexor.
Hayward's activity was limited in Friday morning's shootaround session, and he will be a game-time decision for tonight's 7 p.m. start at EnergySolutions Arena. Team officials were unsure when the injury to Hayward's hip occurred.
The 6-foot-8 guard scored a career-high 37 points Tuesday, including Utah's last 17 points in the fourth quarter during the Jazz's victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder. He shot 13-of-16 from the field and 9-of-13 from the foul line. Hayward also grabbed 11 rebounds and handed out seven assists, both game highs, in Tuesday's win.
The fourth-year NBA player is only the fourth player in Jazz history to post a 37-11-7 stat line. The other three are three guys — Pete Maravich, Adrian Dantley and Karl Malone — whose numbers have been retired by the franchise. During the last five years, the only other NBA player to score his team's final 17 points in a game was LeBron James of the Miami Heat, who did so in April 2012.
During his last three games, Hayward has averaged 27 points, six rebounds, five assists and two steals. He has shot over 60 percent from the field and over 64 percent from 3-point range during that span.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 44
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 39