Jimmer and Whitney Fredette open up about life as Mormon couple in NBA
Danny: So there happens to be another prominent LDS college basketball player this year, Jabari Parker, who finds himself in a similar situation you were in a few years ago—National Player of the Year candidate, playing for a top program, and more than likely preparing for the NBA draft. What kind of advice would you give Brother Parker as he’s looking to enter this next stage of his life?
Jimmer: I’d say to really enjoy his college years–or maybe year–but really enjoy it. Enjoy the friendships and college atmosphere he’s involved in right now. It’s definitely different between college and the NBA. You’ll never feel that brotherhood that you did in college again. It’s still a great world in the NBA but it’s a different world. He’s gonna have to continue to work hard, obviously he’s gonna do some great things this year and in his future career.
I’m excited for him, and I hope he’s extremely successful, but I’d tell him to keep being himself and never change who he is. That’s a big piece of advice, when you get into the NBA just be yourself and don’t change for anybody. Just do what you do out there.
Danny: So what is next for the Fredettes? I’m going to the Lakers game tonight so I’ll go put in a good word with (Lakers’ head coach Mike) D’Antoni. We’ve got brother (Mark) Madsen assistant coaching, I’m sure he’d love to have another Mormon in the locker room.
Whitney: Haha. You know, we kind of go with the flow. We honestly don’t know what’s next. When the season is over we’ll go back to Denver, which is where we live in the off-season. We have a few trips planned—we’re going to Canada and Hawaii this summer. But we pretty much do whatever the NBA tells us to do.
Danny: Well, it’s 75 and sunny in Southern California. Just sayin.
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 49
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2