BYU track: Cougars 2014 indoor season kicks off with a home meet
The women’s track and field team is kicking off indoor season with its home meet at BYU this weekend.
This is the first season the women’s team will be under the direction of new head coach Ed Eyestone.
“We're optimistic about the women's program and looking to qualify as many for regionals and nationals as possible,” Eyestone said. “I know Andrea Harrison will be doing some heavy lifting for us. We are looking to see some great things from her."
Harrison was a stand-out athlete throughout the 2013 cross-country season, repeatedly earning first place for BYU and leading the team.
Throughout indoor season, the team will frequent the Air Force Invitational twice as well as the Washington Invitational twice. The Air Force Invitationals have great facilities for sprinters and jumpers, while the Washington Invitationals historically benefit the distance runners.
Indoor season will consist of eight meets and invitationals before the MPSF championships and the NCAA Indoor Championships. The meet at BYU will take place at the Smith Fieldhouse at the indoor track on Jan. 10-11.
"This meet is a nice rust-buster,” Eyestone said. “It's important because it sets the tone for who will travel. This meet will go a long way in telling us who our top athletes are. We should learn a lot about our team this weekend."
The BYU home invitational is the only home indoor meet of the season.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts addiction by...
- Randy Hollis: Finally, the state's 'Big Four'...
- College football countdown No. 39: BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the schedule...
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 40
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 39
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23