BYU track: Cougars 2014 indoor season kicks off with a home meet
The women’s track and field team is kicking off indoor season with its home meet at BYU this weekend.
This is the first season the women’s team will be under the direction of new head coach Ed Eyestone.
“We're optimistic about the women's program and looking to qualify as many for regionals and nationals as possible,” Eyestone said. “I know Andrea Harrison will be doing some heavy lifting for us. We are looking to see some great things from her."
Harrison was a stand-out athlete throughout the 2013 cross-country season, repeatedly earning first place for BYU and leading the team.
Throughout indoor season, the team will frequent the Air Force Invitational twice as well as the Washington Invitational twice. The Air Force Invitationals have great facilities for sprinters and jumpers, while the Washington Invitationals historically benefit the distance runners.
Indoor season will consist of eight meets and invitationals before the MPSF championships and the NCAA Indoor Championships. The meet at BYU will take place at the Smith Fieldhouse at the indoor track on Jan. 10-11.
"This meet is a nice rust-buster,” Eyestone said. “It's important because it sets the tone for who will travel. This meet will go a long way in telling us who our top athletes are. We should learn a lot about our team this weekend."
The BYU home invitational is the only home indoor meet of the season.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Utah Sports Ruckus: BYU football's first...
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron in...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- Rock On: Short shorts and the new Stockton
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 133
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 46
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 46