Salt Lake County Republicans fill two seats in special election
MURRAY — Republicans in Salt Lake County selected two of their own to fill vacancies on the Salt Lake County Council and in the Utah Legislature on Thursday.
In one round of voting, delegates selected Aimee Winder Newton to succeed David Wilde on the County Council. Newton received 78 percent of the vote and will complete Wilde's term, which runs until the end of 2014.
Newton is described in her candidate biography as a lifelong Republican, small government fiscal conservative and grass-roots organizer.
"(Newton) is going to do great on the council. She is the first Republican female on the council," said Chad Bennion, Salt Lake County GOP chairman. "She has worked in local government, she knows the issues and we see her coming in and making contributions right off the bat."
Robert Spendlove received 64 percent of second-round delegate votes to succeed Derek Brown in leading District 49 in the state Legislature.
Spendlove has spent 15 years working for the state, including such positions as the governor's chief economist, policy director, health reform coordinator and director of federal affairs, according to his candidate bio.
"We had so much depth in the (District) 49 race," Bennion said. "We're wishing we could have sprinkled a few of these folks around the state. It was a very tight race, very competitive."
Bennion noted that snowy weather didn't stop a high number of participants attending the GOP special election at Murray High School to support candidates and vote in both races.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 41
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 37
- School leaders look for solutions to... 24
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12