Salt Lake County Republicans fill two seats in special election
MURRAY — Republicans in Salt Lake County selected two of their own to fill vacancies on the Salt Lake County Council and in the Utah Legislature on Thursday.
In one round of voting, delegates selected Aimee Winder Newton to succeed David Wilde on the County Council. Newton received 78 percent of the vote and will complete Wilde's term, which runs until the end of 2014.
Newton is described in her candidate biography as a lifelong Republican, small government fiscal conservative and grass-roots organizer.
"(Newton) is going to do great on the council. She is the first Republican female on the council," said Chad Bennion, Salt Lake County GOP chairman. "She has worked in local government, she knows the issues and we see her coming in and making contributions right off the bat."
Robert Spendlove received 64 percent of second-round delegate votes to succeed Derek Brown in leading District 49 in the state Legislature.
Spendlove has spent 15 years working for the state, including such positions as the governor's chief economist, policy director, health reform coordinator and director of federal affairs, according to his candidate bio.
"We had so much depth in the (District) 49 race," Bennion said. "We're wishing we could have sprinkled a few of these folks around the state. It was a very tight race, very competitive."
Bennion noted that snowy weather didn't stop a high number of participants attending the GOP special election at Murray High School to support candidates and vote in both races.
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- LDS position on gay, religious rights may...
- Streamlined FanX event is a win for Salt Lake...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Logan woman paralyzed from the waist down to...
- Jackie Biskupski kicks off campaign for Salt...
- Hundreds of Utahns in 4 cities rally for...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 170
- Romney decision not to run again... 48
- LDS position on gay, religious rights... 46
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Rep. Chris Stewart says he's working on... 19
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud,... 18
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts... 17