High school girls basketball: Riverton runs over rival Herriman
RIVERTON — The Riverton girls basketball team continued its torrid start to the season Thursday night with a convincing 45-28 win over rival Herriman.
The Silverwolves used a second-quarter spark to build a big lead and then cruise to victory.
As is often the case, defense was the catalyst for the second-quarter run.
With the game tied at 8-8 early in the second period, the Silverwolves buckled down on defense, got hands on loose balls, and cashed in on many subsequent fast-break opportunities. The result was a 13-0 run that put them up 21-8 with just less than four minutes remaining in the quarter.
"Our team tends to have moments like those where everything seems to roll for us and go our way," said Riverton coach Ron Ence. "I think that second quarter saw us focus more defensively and we had a good stretch there to build a big lead."
Riverton took a 26-12 lead into halftime and kept the Mustangs at bay throughout the second half to come away with the easy win.
Herriman was led by senior center Ashlee Burge and her team-high 13 points.
"It was a good win for us," Richards said. "We played together as a team and that's been the reason why we're off to a great start this year."
A great start may be an understatement for the 10-0 Silverwolves, whose average margin of victorcy is a whopping 32 points.
"We lost some good players last year, but I knew we had some good players back and yeah, it's been a great start," Ence said. "Hopefully we can keep this up against some tougher teams on our schedule. But yes, I've been pleased with how we've started the year."
Next up for the undefeated Silverwolves is a road game against Lehi this coming Tuesday. Meanwhile, the 5-5 Mustangs will look to rebound at home against Westlake the same night.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 44
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35