Utah Valley University student-athletes had a solid fall semester in the classroom as they achieved a department wide 3.18 grade point average. Twenty-one of those student-athletes attained a perfect 4.0 GPA, while 68 percent of the 295 individuals ended the term with 3.0 GPA or higher.
"This goes to show that the Wolverines are taking the scholastic duties of being a student-athlete seriously," UVU Director of Athletics Vince Otoupal said. "A 3.18 GPA does not lie. As in athletic contests, the proof is in the numbers. A 3.18 proves commitment and accomplishment."
Eleven of the 12 Wolverine teams notched above a 3.0 GPA, and nine of those same squads boasted above a 3.20. Men's golf led the way with a 3.50 term GPA, while the women's golf team was right behind them with a 3.48. Men's basketball enjoyed the third-best GPA of any Utah Valley team with a 3.43, while women's basketball (3.39), men's soccer (3.36), women's soccer (3.30), women's volleyball (3.30), baseball (3.24) and softball (3.22) posted above a 3.20. Women's track and cross-country (3.15), men's track and cross-country (3.03), and wrestling (2.71) rounded out the list.
"I am proud of the academic efforts of our entire academic staff, coaches and student-athletes," Otoupal said. "Academic success is one of our stated goals, and we are putting real muscle behind those goals. I am proud to be a part of UVU and Wolverine athletics.
"What UVU's coaches and student-athletes have done in the fall semester is something that all Wolverine fans can be proud of. Last semester helps us to continue to evolve and define the Wolverine way."
Forty-five percent of all UVU student-athletes earned a 3.5 GPA or higher in the fall, and 72 percent of those same individuals currently hold above a 3.0 cumulative GPA during their time in Orem.
"A 3.18 is great and noteworthy, and we will continue to strive toward our stated goal of a 3.25 cumulative GPA," Otoupal said. "It may be an audacious goal, but can we do it? Absolutely."
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU wrestling: Utah Valley’s Rauser...
- UVU basketball: Utah Valley travels to play...
- Braun scores 34 points; Grand Canyon beats...
- James 'Iron Cowboy' Lawrence speaks to UVU...
- College wrestling: Utah Valley opens trip...
- UVU wrestling: Forfeit dooms UVU in 27-19...
- UVU basketball: Utah Valley falls 99-88 at...
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating... 1
- BYU baseball: game at Utah Valley... 0
- UVU golf: Nyhus selected as WAC... 0
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0