WEST VALLEY CITY — An unoccupied modular home was destroyed in an overnight fire, as cold temperatures caused problems for firefighters.
Crews responded to 3309 S. Eastcrest Road about 2 a.m. Thursday to find the home engulfed in flames. The unit was for sale and no one was currently living in it, according to a news release.
Ice formed on the fire hoses and trucks as crews attempted to subdue the flames in the early morning temperatures, but no firefighters were injured.
Crews contained and mostly extinguished the blaze in about 20 minutes, keeping the flames from spreading to other homes. They remained on site until about 5 a.m., making sure all hot spots had been extinguished.
The fire was caused by a water heater that had remained on after water to the unit had been turned off, officials said. The home is a total loss.
— McKenzie Romero
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17