Mike Terry, Deseret News Archives
SALT LAKE CITY — A Florida man was sentenced to 15 months in prison and his wife to 24 months' probation for their roles in a bribery and fraud scheme involving Air Force contracts.
Sylvester Zugrav, 70, of Sarasota, Fla., earlier pleaded guilty in federal court to conspiracy to commit bribery and procurement fraud, and his wife, Maria Zugrav, 67, also of Sarasota, admitted to helping conceal the conspiracy.
The Zugravs were charged in an October 2011 indictment along with Jose Mendez, 51, of Farr West.
Mendez, a procurement program manager for the Foreign Materials Acquisition Support Office at Hill Air Force Base, was charged with conspiracy, bribery and procurement fraud. He pleaded guilty to all charges and agreed to give up more than $180,000 he received in the scheme. He is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 29.
The Zugravs owned Atlas International Trading Corp., a vendor licensed to contract for the sale of foreign materials. In return for bribes, Mendez gave Atlas favorable treatment in the procurement process, including disclosing government budget and competitor bid information that helped the company win contracts, according to the indictment.
Payments were made via FedEx to Mendez’s home, in person and by electronic wire transfers to a bank account in Mexico in the name of Mendez’s cousin.
— Dennis Romboy
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11