Bingham student arrested for investigation of terroristic threat
SOUTH JORDAN — A juvenile who police say made undisclosed threats of actions that were allegedly going to happen at Bingham High School has been arrested.
Police didn't release many details Thursday but said that a student posted threatening messages on a "social media site" Wednesday night.
"It was seen on social media by the student's friends, associates and other people that know him," said South Jordan Police Sgt. Sam Winkler.
Detectives questioned the student at his house Wednesday night and booked him into juvenile detention for investigation of making a terroristic threat.
"It was concerning what was in there," Winkler said of the social media post without going into detail about the nature of the threat. "I don't know if it was anything directed at one person, a threat to blow up the school or just a threat that he was (mad) at the school.
"It was severe enough that we wanted to make sure it was dealt with," he said.
Even though the student was arrested Wednesday night, extra South Jordan police officers were at Bingham High School on Thursday morning to provide a visible presence for students, faculty and parents who may have seen the message the night before.
"We wanted to make them feel more secure, to let everyone know we were aware of (the threat)," Winkler said.
When asked if search warrants had been served on either the student's locker or at house, Winkler said the case is ongoing. He noted, however, that no evidence had been found as of Thursday afternoon that suggested the student was capable of carrying out the alleged threat.
Detectives were also looking Thursday at whether anybody else was involved. Anyone with information on the incident can call police at 801-840-4000.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 87
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 37
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 31
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 26
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 16