Bingham student arrested for investigation of terroristic threat
SOUTH JORDAN — A juvenile who police say made undisclosed threats of actions that were allegedly going to happen at Bingham High School has been arrested.
Police didn't release many details Thursday but said that a student posted threatening messages on a "social media site" Wednesday night.
"It was seen on social media by the student's friends, associates and other people that know him," said South Jordan Police Sgt. Sam Winkler.
Detectives questioned the student at his house Wednesday night and booked him into juvenile detention for investigation of making a terroristic threat.
"It was concerning what was in there," Winkler said of the social media post without going into detail about the nature of the threat. "I don't know if it was anything directed at one person, a threat to blow up the school or just a threat that he was (mad) at the school.
"It was severe enough that we wanted to make sure it was dealt with," he said.
Even though the student was arrested Wednesday night, extra South Jordan police officers were at Bingham High School on Thursday morning to provide a visible presence for students, faculty and parents who may have seen the message the night before.
"We wanted to make them feel more secure, to let everyone know we were aware of (the threat)," Winkler said.
When asked if search warrants had been served on either the student's locker or at house, Winkler said the case is ongoing. He noted, however, that no evidence had been found as of Thursday afternoon that suggested the student was capable of carrying out the alleged threat.
Detectives were also looking Thursday at whether anybody else was involved. Anyone with information on the incident can call police at 801-840-4000.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- 'To this day, I don't believe I did it': War...
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 133
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19