Source: Kansas City Chiefs looking to extend Alex Smith's contract
Michael Conroy, ASSOCIATED PRESS
The Kansas City Chiefs are looking to extend quarterback Alex Smith’s contract this offseason, according to Jason Cole of the National Football Post.
Smith has one year left on his current deal worth roughly $7.5 million.
The former Utah Ute racked up career highs in passing yards and touchdowns in 2013, leading the Chiefs from a 2-14 team to an 11-5 playoff team. Smith finished the season with 3,313 yards passing and 23 touchdowns in his first year in Kansas City, and he also rushed for a career-high 431 yards and another score.
Before the season, Smith was traded to Kansas City from San Francisco, where he had spent his first eight NFL seasons.
“Any time you can go from two (wins) to making the playoffs, you have something to feel good about there, the turnaround we had,” he told the Kansas City Star, after Kansas City’s 45-44 playoff loss to Indianapolis on Saturday.
In that game, Smith had one of the top outings of his professional career. He completed 30-of-46 passes for 378 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions, good enough for a 119.7 quarterback rating. Smith's fourth touchdown pass of the game put the Chiefs ahead 38-10, but from there the Colts completed the second-biggest comeback in NFL postseason history to end Kansas City's season.
Still, this season was a positive one for Smith and Chiefs, despite the season-ending loss. And during the past three seasons, Smith's record as a starter is 30-10-1. He's also put up strong numbers in his three career playoff starts, as Smith has thrown for 873 yards and nine touchdowns with no interceptions in those games.
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 61
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 24
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 23
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13