Source: Kansas City Chiefs looking to extend Alex Smith's contract
Michael Conroy, ASSOCIATED PRESS
The Kansas City Chiefs are looking to extend quarterback Alex Smith’s contract this offseason, according to Jason Cole of the National Football Post.
Smith has one year left on his current deal worth roughly $7.5 million.
The former Utah Ute racked up career highs in passing yards and touchdowns in 2013, leading the Chiefs from a 2-14 team to an 11-5 playoff team. Smith finished the season with 3,313 yards passing and 23 touchdowns in his first year in Kansas City, and he also rushed for a career-high 431 yards and another score.
Before the season, Smith was traded to Kansas City from San Francisco, where he had spent his first eight NFL seasons.
“Any time you can go from two (wins) to making the playoffs, you have something to feel good about there, the turnaround we had,” he told the Kansas City Star, after Kansas City’s 45-44 playoff loss to Indianapolis on Saturday.
In that game, Smith had one of the top outings of his professional career. He completed 30-of-46 passes for 378 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions, good enough for a 119.7 quarterback rating. Smith's fourth touchdown pass of the game put the Chiefs ahead 38-10, but from there the Colts completed the second-biggest comeback in NFL postseason history to end Kansas City's season.
Still, this season was a positive one for Smith and Chiefs, despite the season-ending loss. And during the past three seasons, Smith's record as a starter is 30-10-1. He's also put up strong numbers in his three career playoff starts, as Smith has thrown for 873 yards and nine touchdowns with no interceptions in those games.
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 50
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 23
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 17