Utah Grizzlies: Grizzlies bounce back, get 3-2 win over Las Vegas
Jordan Allred, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Teigan Zahn scored the tie-breaking goal in the third period to propel the Utah Grizzlies to a bounce-back win over the Las Vegas Wranglers on Wednesday night.
Zahn's goal gave the Grizzlies a 3-2 win one night after they suffered a tough shootout loss to the Wranglers.
“Our line is just clicking, and goals are starting to go in," said Mathieu "The Rocket" Aubin, who scored Utah's first two goals.
Aubin started things off for the Grizzlies early in the first period, scoring the first goal of the night — just like he did Tuesday in Utah’s shootout loss.
Aubin wasn't done.
After the Wranglers tied things up in the first period, Aubin scored his second goal of the night on a power play, which ended the Grizzlies' scoreless power play drought at 0 of 13.
With his two goals Wednesday night, Aubin now has scored in seven of his last eight games with four goals and seven assists.
Grizzlies head coach Tim Branham was happy to see his squad finally put the puck in the net on a power play.
"We been moving the puck well, but we buried our chances tonight," Branham said.
A scary moment happened in the second period when Channing Boe and Jamie MacQueen both got hit hard on the ice and were both down for some time. However, Boe and MacQueen returned to the ice and played in the third period.
“I was pretty worried," Branham said. "(Boe is) a big leader in that dressing room."
Aaron Dell, who was in goal Wednesday night, got his seventh win of the year.
The Grizzlies now turn their attention to facing the Stockton Thunder on Friday and Saturday at the Maverik Center. Both games will begin at 7 p.m.
Grizzlies notes: Michael Pelech extended his scoring streak to seven games with an assist in Wednesday's game. ... The Grizzlies are sixth in the ECHL with 27.58 shots against per game. ... The Grizzlies are now 5-1-1-1 in their last eight games.
Follow David Winkworth on Twitter @RealDavidVito and listen to his podcast at http://sportsathome.webs.com/ for all the latest news and notes around the sporting world.
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 71
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 52
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 44
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 35
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 24
- Video: 100 days until college football... 18
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 10