Man accused of driving up Capitol steps charged with assaulting officer
SALT LAKE CITY — New charges were filed Wednesday against the man police say drove up the steps of the Utah Capitol in an incident that ended in an altercation with an officer last year.
Weston Gerald Green, 36, was charged in 3rd District Court with criminal mischief, a third-degree felony; assaulting a uniformed peace officer, a class A misdemeanor; and reckless driving, a class B misdemeanor.
Green was also charged on Nov. 21 in Salt Lake Justice Court with driving with a measurable controlled substance in his body, a class B misdemeanor, on the day he went to the Capitol.
Green reportedly drove his pickup truck up the west steps outside the Capitol and raised a ruckus outside the doors of the old Utah Supreme Court room on Oct. 22 in an apparent effort to promote marijuana use.
Once inside, Green wouldn't comply with instructions from officers and attempted to punch at least one of them. A Utah Highway Patrol lieutenant forcefully took him to the ground and punched him in the mouth, then arrested him. Attempts had also been made to subdue him with a Taser.
Investigators documented damage to the Capitol steps and a trail of leaked coolant that puddled under the truck, which could cost an estimated $2,915 to repair, according to court documents.
Green told the officers who arrested him he wasn't being prescribed medications for mental health issues but that he used marijuana, charges state.
A search warrant was obtained the next day for Green's house in Layton. Underneath a crawl space in the basement, investigators found 18 actively growing marijuana plants in addition to several other plants in various stages of drying and harvesting.
Green was booked into the Davis County Jail but later bailed out.
Green was charged in 2nd District Court last month with drug distribution and drug possession, both second-degree felonies; child endangerment, a third-degree felony; and possession of drug paraphernalia, a class A misdemeanor.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 48
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 22
- Twice-deported man arrested in Salt... 18
- Lake Powell pipeline debate enters new... 18
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 17