High school football: Lehi coach David Hastings steps down after winning Coach of the Year honors
LEHI — Despite his recent success and an apparent turn in the right direction, Lehi coach David Hastings has stepped down, the Deseret News learned late Wednesday night.
"One of the most important things in turning around any football program is it has to be the right fit. When there's a change in administration it sometimes brings with it different views and opinions that affect that fit," Hastings said in a written statement. "The current administration and myself do not see things the same, and so I was asked to step down as head coach, which I have done."
Hastings guided the Pioneers to a 9-21 record after inheriting the program in 2011. In the previous five years before his arrival, Lehi recorded an overall 3-46 record with a 26-game losing streak stretching from 2008-10.
After going 2-8 in his first two seasons, Hastings' program appeared to make incremental strides in 2013 by finishing with a 5-5 mark. The Pioneers were in contention for the final playoff seed in Region 4 behind large contributions from Caden Calton, who rushed for 1,954 yards and 24 touchdowns. In the preseason, Lehi was predicted to finish seventh in region.
Hastings was named the 2013 Coach of the Year by the Daily Herald.
"I'm grateful to Lehi and for the players, coaches and all those that supported what we wanted to do," Hastings said in the statement. "I'm extremely pleased at where we have brought this program. When we took over in 2011, we took over a program that could not have been any lower. I look forward to my next coaching challenge and building a program and developing good, young men."
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 42
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 8
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7