Series of snowstorms could be trouble for commuters
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Wasatch Front got its first taste Wednesday of a series of winter storms that will plague commuters into the weekend.
Between 2 inches and 4 inches of wet, slushy snow fell between Brigham City and Provo during the Wednesday morning drive and into the afternoon. The roads were mostly clear for the evening commute, with the exception of some light continued snowfall.
That won't be the case Thursday morning, KSL meteorologist Kevin Eubank reported.
A second, stronger storm will move in early Thursday, dropping snow along the Wasatch Front and hitting Salt Lake City about 8 a.m.
Between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., the northern valleys could see another 2 inches to 4 inches of snow, Eubank said, while the benches could collect between 4 inches and 8 inches.
"It will start coming in early morning through the mountains, and then it really intensifies between 8 and 10 a.m., and then by evening this thing is already clearing out," he said.
Meanwhile, between 5 inches and 10 inches of snow is forecasted for the Wasatch Back, with as much as 16 inches possible in the northern mountains.
More snow is expected Friday, though much of it will likely miss the valleys, Eubank said. After a break Saturday, another storm will move into the state Sunday.
Temperatures are expected to stay between the lows 20s and just above freezing through the series of storms, with a warmer spell on Saturday, before sunny skies return Monday.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12