Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Police identified the woman who was hit and killed Monday by a TRAX train.
The woman was identified as Wanda Song, 39. Officials were waiting to contact family who lived out of state, who they finally reached Wednesday, according to Salt Lake City Police detective Veronica Montoya.
Song was hit and killed by a northbound TRAX train at about 4:30 p.m. Monday, just north of the Ballpark station at 180 W. 1300 South.
She had come in contact with UTA officers 30 to 40 minutes before she was hit, UTA spokesman Remi Barron said. Song was intoxicated, so officers took her to a detox center.
"Unfortunately, she did not stick around very long," he said.
Officials were not able to confirm that Song was homeless. Her last recorded residence in the city was in 2011, but she may have been living in another city, Montoya said.
The man hit by a FrontRunner train coming to a stop Tuesday morning remained in extremely critical condition by 4 p.m. Thursday.
This accident happened hours after Song was hit and killed by the TRAX train.
The man, 36, had gotten off the northbound train shortly after 7:45 a.m., walked across the southbound tracks and did not see the train approaching, Roy Police Sgt. Shane Hubbard said.
The man "was not paying attention and then the southbound FrontRunner train conductor was blowing his horn and everything trying to get his attention," Hubbard said. "The pedestrian looked at the last second and couldn't get out of the way in time."
The train was slowing down when it hit the man, Hubbard said.
Medical crews and police responded to treat the man who received "severe head trauma, torso trauma and both legs trauma," Hubbard said.
Police were unable to confirm the man's identity and reported he was listed in extremely critical condition Tuesday night.
Investigators were unsure whether the man was wearing headphones when he was hit.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Thousands get in on blue foam craze for...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 62
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 33
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17