Flammable liquid causes 'tense moments' in Box Elder house fire
Photos courtesy Box Elder County Fire Department
PROMONTORY, Box Elder County — Containers of liquid explosives accelerated a house fire that caused an estimated $175,000 in damage Wednesday.
Crews from Thatcher Penrose as well as the Corrinne and Tremonton fire departments responded to a house fire at 895 E. Promontory Road about 5 a.m., said Box Elder County Fire Marshal Corey Barton.
The house was in a distant location, and its occupant, who is renting the home, was in a Salt Lake hospital, so by the time crews responded, flames filled the home.
Twenty firefighters spent six hours fighting the blaze. There was not a water system near the home, so crews worked to keep a nearby building safe and keep the fire from growing, Barton said.
"There were several tense moments during the fire due to numerous explosions taking place from flammable liquid containers and lots of ammunitions that were stored in the home," he said in a statement.
Motor oil, hydraulic oil, tires and other items were being stored in the basement of the farm home. The homeowner came from Henefer and used his tractor to help pull some items out of the home.
According to Barton, the house was "a total loss." He estimated that there was $175,000 in damage.
Representatives from the state fire marshal are helping with the investigation, but the cause of the fire has not been determined.
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 114
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 44
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 32
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS... 16