Grim YouTube video goes viral, makes drivers think twice about speeding
Snow showers along the Wasatch Front gave morning commuters a reason to slow down Wednesday. Even with drivers taking added precautions, the traffic incidents report on KSL.com remained populated throughout the afternoon, and radio hosts continually urged everyone to prioritize safety over speed.
People getting behind the wheel in New Zealand are experiencing significantly warmer temperatures today, but they are receiving similar safety advice in the form of a viral YouTube video.
The New Zealand Transport Agency posted the one-minute ad created by Clemenger BBDO on Jan. 5 as part of a campaign that "encourages the audience to be conscious of other road users and to choose a safer speed that factors in the chance for human error," according to nzta.govt.nz.
The video, titled "Mistakes," features a father and son making a turn in one car and a man speeding toward the intersection they are leaving in another. Time is frozen for a moment as the father and the man step out of their cars and discuss the roles they are about to play in the impending crash.
The video has been viewed more than 1.8 million times and received comments showing the message is striking a chord.
"Next time you drive faster than the speed limit, ask yourself: Is there tragedy in my future? In someone else's future? Hopefully, this compelling, thought-provoking video will encourage folks to ease off the accelerator," Steven Gursten commented.
Twitter users are also sharing the public service announcement, calling it "powerful," "devastating," "haunting" and "unforgettable."
An explanation of the ad campaign on the NZ Transport Agency website notes that "speed is still a contributing factor in 20 percent of all fatal and serious injury crashes on New Zealand roads."
Emily Eyring is an editor and product manager for DeseretNews.com.
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What accounts for the cinematic generation gap?
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- Dear mom on the iPhone: Let me tell you... 75
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 18
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- Erin Stewart: Prom dress modesty raises... 7
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- Top reasons couples divorce... 4
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I... 3
- Wyoming ranked third in US in... 2