Snow showers along the Wasatch Front gave morning commuters a reason to slow down Wednesday. Even with drivers taking added precautions, the traffic incidents report on KSL.com remained populated throughout the afternoon, and radio hosts continually urged everyone to prioritize safety over speed.
People getting behind the wheel in New Zealand are experiencing significantly warmer temperatures today, but they are receiving similar safety advice in the form of a viral YouTube video.
The New Zealand Transport Agency posted the one-minute ad created by Clemenger BBDO on Jan. 5 as part of a campaign that "encourages the audience to be conscious of other road users and to choose a safer speed that factors in the chance for human error," according to nzta.govt.nz.
The video, titled "Mistakes," features a father and son making a turn in one car and a man speeding toward the intersection they are leaving in another. Time is frozen for a moment as the father and the man step out of their cars and discuss the roles they are about to play in the impending crash.
The video has been viewed more than 1.8 million times and received comments showing the message is striking a chord.
"Next time you drive faster than the speed limit, ask yourself: Is there tragedy in my future? In someone else's future? Hopefully, this compelling, thought-provoking video will encourage folks to ease off the accelerator," Steven Gursten commented.
Twitter users are also sharing the public service announcement, calling it "powerful," "devastating," "haunting" and "unforgettable."
An explanation of the ad campaign on the NZ Transport Agency website notes that "speed is still a contributing factor in 20 percent of all fatal and serious injury crashes on New Zealand roads."
Emily Eyring is an editor and product manager for DeseretNews.com.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- How new research on chemicals in household...
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- The rough road of single motherhood —...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- When Satan steals your motherhood 41
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 12
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- The rough road of single motherhood... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 9
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation... 8
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,... 7