Religion and culture continue to merge in popular media
A&E, Associated Press
Fox News' "The Five" caught up with the centuries-old trend recently.
Co-host Kimberly Guilfoyle cited the popularity of the History Channel mini-series "The Bible," Pope Francis as Time magazine's 2013 Person of the Year, the best-selling book "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Reilly and the popularity of A&E reality show "Duck Dynasty," featuring the faith of its Robertson family, as proof that "people are hungry for something beyond the materialistic, sexually charged culture that seems to dominate our lives."
Fox network panelists talked about the upcoming feature film "Noah," starring Russell Crowe and Anthony Hopkins. Not mentioned were the religious-themed movies "Heaven is for Real," "God is not Dead," and "Son of God," a film about the life of Jesus by the makers of "The Bible" miniseries.
Panelists on "The Five" suggested this latest surge of interest in religion by the media and entertainment businesses was driven by consumers and culture responding to a need for order and spirituality in their lives.
"I think people are so hungry for something more edifying and something more hopeful," said co-host Andrea Tantaros.
In 2006, religion journalist Mark Pinsky opined that the confluence of faith and culture was the result of religion embracing popular culture, according to a report in the Deseret News.
He said that instead of competing with popular media, denominations were coming up with their own alternative media.
"It's a confluence that has changed popular culture and at the same time has helped evangelical Christians 'hold on to their kids,’ ” Pinsky said.
Both Pinsky and the group at Fox agreed that the entertainment business also sees an opportunity to make money on the interest and need for religious messages in film, television, books and other media.
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to release...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- Can you question the Virgin Birth and still...
- Local faith leaders share inspiring Christmas...
- LDS Church clarifies position on... 77
- Can you question the Virgin Birth and... 18
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to... 14
- LDS World: Jesus Christ is the solution 13
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 8
- North Ogden to make Nativity display... 8
- It's a 'Christmas break' for many, but... 3
- Local faith leaders share inspiring... 3