Juan Diego High alum named to college football Freshman All-America list
Gary Kazanjian, AP
Juan Diego High alumnus and current New Mexico linebacker Dakota Cox was named to the Football Writers Association of America’s 2013 Freshman All-America team Monday.
“It felt pretty awesome to find out,” Cox said. “To be on the same list as Johnny Manziel in years past and the Heisman winner Jameis Winston, it’s very awesome. I’m humbled by it.”
The Draper native led the Lobos and all Mountain West Conference freshmen with 99 tackles in 2013. He also became the first freshman to lead New Mexico in tackles since 1994.
Cox was one of just four linebackers across the nation named to the list, along with UCLA’s Myles Jack, Oklahoma’s Dominque Alexander and Colorado’s Addison Gillam. Twenty-one true freshmen, including Cox, were named to the list.
Cox said one of his goals before the season started was to make the Freshman All-America list.
“I’m excited that all my hard work paid off,” he said.
Cox compiled 283 total tackles in three years at Juan Diego, including 144 tackles and nine tackles for loss during his senior season in 2012.
Cox said he hopes he can build off his first season, getting better on the field and working hard toward getting a degree off the field.
“I still have a long ways to go but I know I’ll keep getting better,” he said.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- Dick Harmon: Want drama? Storylines galore?...
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- Tempers flare in Jazz's physical overtime win...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 61
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- Utah Utes football: The California... 28
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 25
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22