Juan Diego High alum named to college football Freshman All-America list
Gary Kazanjian, AP
Juan Diego High alumnus and current New Mexico linebacker Dakota Cox was named to the Football Writers Association of America’s 2013 Freshman All-America team Monday.
“It felt pretty awesome to find out,” Cox said. “To be on the same list as Johnny Manziel in years past and the Heisman winner Jameis Winston, it’s very awesome. I’m humbled by it.”
The Draper native led the Lobos and all Mountain West Conference freshmen with 99 tackles in 2013. He also became the first freshman to lead New Mexico in tackles since 1994.
Cox was one of just four linebackers across the nation named to the list, along with UCLA’s Myles Jack, Oklahoma’s Dominque Alexander and Colorado’s Addison Gillam. Twenty-one true freshmen, including Cox, were named to the list.
Cox said one of his goals before the season started was to make the Freshman All-America list.
“I’m excited that all my hard work paid off,” he said.
Cox compiled 283 total tackles in three years at Juan Diego, including 144 tackles and nine tackles for loss during his senior season in 2012.
Cox said he hopes he can build off his first season, getting better on the field and working hard toward getting a degree off the field.
“I still have a long ways to go but I know I’ll keep getting better,” he said.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 43
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24