Juan Diego High alum named to college football Freshman All-America list
Gary Kazanjian, AP
Juan Diego High alumnus and current New Mexico linebacker Dakota Cox was named to the Football Writers Association of America’s 2013 Freshman All-America team Monday.
“It felt pretty awesome to find out,” Cox said. “To be on the same list as Johnny Manziel in years past and the Heisman winner Jameis Winston, it’s very awesome. I’m humbled by it.”
The Draper native led the Lobos and all Mountain West Conference freshmen with 99 tackles in 2013. He also became the first freshman to lead New Mexico in tackles since 1994.
Cox was one of just four linebackers across the nation named to the list, along with UCLA’s Myles Jack, Oklahoma’s Dominque Alexander and Colorado’s Addison Gillam. Twenty-one true freshmen, including Cox, were named to the list.
Cox said one of his goals before the season started was to make the Freshman All-America list.
“I’m excited that all my hard work paid off,” he said.
Cox compiled 283 total tackles in three years at Juan Diego, including 144 tackles and nine tackles for loss during his senior season in 2012.
Cox said he hopes he can build off his first season, getting better on the field and working hard toward getting a degree off the field.
“I still have a long ways to go but I know I’ll keep getting better,” he said.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16