Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It’s been a year of tremendous growth for Deseretnews.com and the Deseret News mobile apps, the digital properties of the Deseret News.
Among many accomplishments, the faith and family-oriented website climbed as high as No. 20 on Alexa.com’s list of most visited newspaper websites. The Deseret News digital properties also set a new record with a combined nearly 4 million unique views in December, a 59 percent increase from December 2012, according to Chris Higbee, Deseretnews.com general manager.
Overall, the digital properties recorded more than 29 million yearly unique visitors.
Long-term planning and teamwork have contributed to the website’s success, Higbee said.
"The growth we continue to experience on DeseretNews.com and the Deseret News apps is the result of strategic plans laid many months ago. And our entire team spends a great deal of effort executing those plans,” Higbee said. “Take, for example, our social media channels. A year ago we were virtually a non-factor in social media. Now, almost a third of our traffic comes from social media. And there are a lot of other projects that have had a similar impact. Our success really is due to 'the enormity of many small things’ and a highly dedicated team of Web content professionals."
The Deseret News, founded in 1850, continues to innovate under the banner of journalism excellence. It has focused its expertise as a watchdog for the family, putting substantial resources toward coverage of education, the poor and less fortunate, faith, media values and financial responsibility.
In 2010, it joined with KSL to create a multi-platform news division, covering news across print, radio, TV, digital and mobile platforms.
Deseret News and DeseretNews.com are both part of Deseret Management Corporation.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Utah officials find no pesticide violation...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 28
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9