'Tiger Mom' says Mormons and Jews produce successful people
Amy Chua, a Yale law professor and author, first made headlines in 2011 when the Wall Street Journal published her essay, "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior," an excerpt from her book, "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother."
But this week, Chua has made headlines for her upcoming book that highlights eight cultural groups, explaining why she believes they are more successful than others. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are among the groups Chua highlights.
In her book "The Triple Package," which she co-authored with her husband, Jed Rubenfeld, Chua says that although conversations about cultural stereotypes are generally avoided, there is truth to many.
The book's synopsis on Amazon says: "It may be taboo to say, but some groups in America do better than others. Mormons have recently risen to astonishing business success. Cubans in Miami climbed from poverty to prosperity in a generation. Nigerians earn doctorates at stunningly high rates. Indian and Chinese Americans have much higher incomes than other Americans; Jews may have the highest of all."
Although the book refers to each group as a cultural group rather than by religion or race, many reviewers have reacted negatively to the groupings. But the authors seem to have anticipated the opposition.
"That certain groups do much better in America than others — as measured by income, occupational status, test scores and so on — is difficult to talk about," Chua and Rubenfeld say in their book, according to the New York Post. "In large part, this is because the topic feels so racially charged."
Chua and Rubenfeld also challenge cultural tendencies.
"America today spreads a message of immediate gratification, living for the moment," the book synopsis says. "But all of America’s most successful groups cultivate heightened discipline and impulse control."
"The Triple Package" will be released on Feb. 4, 2014.
- Temple Square hosts New Year's EVE events
- What's new: 'Jesus the Christ Study Guide'...
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to release...
- Wright Words: My friend David is Christian,...
- 'Unbroken' billed as faith-based film, but...
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- Live nativity attracts more than 3,500 in...
- Can you question the Virgin Birth and... 20
- Religious freedom and economic growth... 20
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to... 15
- Wright Words: My friend David is... 9
- This is what going to church does to you 9
- It's a 'Christmas break' for many, but... 6
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas... 5
- Local faith leaders share inspiring... 5