Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
HUNTSVILLE, Weber County — Police say they've located the remains of a missing man from West Valley City near the road to Snowbasin.
The man's body was recovered just after 5 p.m. Tuesday. Crews left the scene for the evening shortly after.
According to police, it may take a few days to identify the body.
Police said the remains are not Susan Cox Powell's. Police say they are dealing with a man's remains but would not release the name of the man Tuesday.
West Valley City Deputy Police Chief Mike Powell said an investigation of a recent missing person case led them to the area, but he would not say what tipped them off to the location.
Police started investigating the case in December, though they declined to comment further.
West Valley City police enlisted help from the Weber County Sheriff's Office and representatives from the medical examiner's office.
Investigators were struggling with the cold weather, falling snow and 6 feet of snow on the ground, Powell said, and even used an all-terrain vehicle to help with the investigation.
"It's not an easily accessible location because of the terrain and weather conditions," he said. "We were trying to take every precautionary measure."
— Andrew Adams
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 42
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23