Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
HUNTSVILLE, Weber County — Police say they've located the remains of a missing man from West Valley City near the road to Snowbasin.
The man's body was recovered just after 5 p.m. Tuesday. Crews left the scene for the evening shortly after.
According to police, it may take a few days to identify the body.
Police said the remains are not Susan Cox Powell's. Police say they are dealing with a man's remains but would not release the name of the man Tuesday.
West Valley City Deputy Police Chief Mike Powell said an investigation of a recent missing person case led them to the area, but he would not say what tipped them off to the location.
Police started investigating the case in December, though they declined to comment further.
West Valley City police enlisted help from the Weber County Sheriff's Office and representatives from the medical examiner's office.
Investigators were struggling with the cold weather, falling snow and 6 feet of snow on the ground, Powell said, and even used an all-terrain vehicle to help with the investigation.
"It's not an easily accessible location because of the terrain and weather conditions," he said. "We were trying to take every precautionary measure."
— Andrew Adams
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 79
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 41
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Police break silence about... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 12
- New definition of homeless would give... 12