SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will present its 30th annual celebration of the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. Jan. 16-23.
The theme for this year's event is "Beneath the Hoodie: A Look at Racial Profiling in America." A conversation with Sybrina Fulton, mother of slain teenager Trayvon Martin, and a keynote address by award-winning journalist, activist and author Marc Lamont Hill headline the week's activities.
The conversation with Fulton will run from noon-1:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 16, in the Olpin Student Union Building ballroom, 200 Central Campus Drive. Hill's address will be noon-1 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 23, at Kingsbury Hall, 1395 Presidents Circle.
The week's events also feature a day of service from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, Jan. 18, at the Union Food Court. Those interested in participating can register at www.bennioncenter.org.
Other events are the March for Youth rally at 2 p.m. Monday, Jan. 20, at the East High School auditorium, 840 S. 1300 East; a campus and community panel discussion called "Positive Youth Development: Community Resistance to Institutionalized Racial Profiling," 12:30-2:30 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 21, at the Hinckley Institute of Politics in Orson Spencer Hall; and a film and panel discussion called "C.O.P. — Crimes of Police," 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 22, at the College of Social and Behavioral Science Lecture Hall Building auditorium, 392 S. 1530 East.
All events are free, but tickets are required for Hill's keynote address. Tickets are available at www.kingsburyhall.utah.edu, or by calling the Performing Arts Ticket Office at 801-581-7100. For more information on events, visit www.diversity.utah.edu.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 11
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8