James Young, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A voicemail promises a $30 gift if a person just logs into their Verizon account.
It’s actually a phishing scheme aimed at getting people’s personal information.
The phone scam disguises incoming calls to show them coming from "technical support." Some customers have reported the voicemails originating from an 800 number.
Robin Heuer, of Highland, received the call. "I blocked it," said Heuer, a Verizon customer.
Robin's husband also got a call but from a different number. "The title on it said Verizon Cs 888," said Jeff Heuer, also a Verizon customer.
They both received voicemails from someone claiming to be from Verizon who said, "Visit my30gift.com that is www.my30gift.com. Log into your account to retrieve your $30. At Verizon we care about you. Thank you and have a nice day."
A Verizon spokesman said it's a phishing scam. The scammer asks customers to log onto a fake website and then steals their personal information. It can even disguise itself with a familiar number like it did on the Heuers’ phones.
"If they are mimicking our technical support in calling your phone for example, and you have that number programmed into your phone, it's going to come up as the identity that you put into your phone," Verizon spokesman Bob Kelley said.
If someone receives one of these calls, Kelley recommends calling customer care or heading to myverizon.com before giving out personal information. Representatives will be able to tell if it's a legitimate call. People can also report phishing scams to phishing@VerizonWireless.com.
The scammers aren't just targeting Verizon customers.
"I imported my number from Verizon to T-Mobile last year, and I got the call twice yesterday," son Matt Heuer said.
Last week cellphone users were getting hit with a phony call from a 473 number that would charge customers similar to a 1-900 number.
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged...
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- Satellites track drought-driven groundwater...
- Fire near Rockport Reservoir nearly half...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Federal land managers criticized over... 16
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13