James Young, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A voicemail promises a $30 gift if a person just logs into their Verizon account.
It’s actually a phishing scheme aimed at getting people’s personal information.
The phone scam disguises incoming calls to show them coming from "technical support." Some customers have reported the voicemails originating from an 800 number.
Robin Heuer, of Highland, received the call. "I blocked it," said Heuer, a Verizon customer.
Robin's husband also got a call but from a different number. "The title on it said Verizon Cs 888," said Jeff Heuer, also a Verizon customer.
They both received voicemails from someone claiming to be from Verizon who said, "Visit my30gift.com that is www.my30gift.com. Log into your account to retrieve your $30. At Verizon we care about you. Thank you and have a nice day."
A Verizon spokesman said it's a phishing scam. The scammer asks customers to log onto a fake website and then steals their personal information. It can even disguise itself with a familiar number like it did on the Heuers’ phones.
"If they are mimicking our technical support in calling your phone for example, and you have that number programmed into your phone, it's going to come up as the identity that you put into your phone," Verizon spokesman Bob Kelley said.
If someone receives one of these calls, Kelley recommends calling customer care or heading to myverizon.com before giving out personal information. Representatives will be able to tell if it's a legitimate call. People can also report phishing scams to phishing@VerizonWireless.com.
The scammers aren't just targeting Verizon customers.
"I imported my number from Verizon to T-Mobile last year, and I got the call twice yesterday," son Matt Heuer said.
Last week cellphone users were getting hit with a phony call from a 473 number that would charge customers similar to a 1-900 number.
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Hikers brave cold and wind instead of Black...
- New protocol to help domestic violence...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 10
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7