BYU basketball report card: Cougars man up, suffocate San Diego
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — Now that’s more like it.
Mark down Jan. 4, 2014, as the day the 2013-14 BYU men’s basketball team discovered “defense." It's the idea that if a team tries hard to stop the other team from scoring it improves its chances of winning.
If the Cougars’ New Year’s resolution was to improve defensively, they got off to a stellar start. BYU suffocated the San Diego Toreros, 87-53, at the Marriott Center Saturday night.
Sure, the Toreros (9-7, 0-3) missed some open shots, but the Cougs made sure they didn’t attempt very many. In securing its first West Coast Conference win of the season, BYU (9-7, 1-2) held San Diego to 34.5 percent shooting, including 2-of-11 from the 3-point line. The Cougars also severely out-hustled and out-rebounded the Toreros.
Skyler Halford, starting for the first time in his BYU career, scored 28 points in 26 minutes, but it was his head-first dive after a loose ball at midcourt that symbolized what this game was all about for the home team.
Playing a respectable opponent in front of its home crowd for the first time since Iowa State visited Provo on Nov. 20, BYU made a statement of resolve, toughness and team play with its 34-point annihilation of San Diego, a team that earlier lost by just a single point to No. 21 San Diego State.
In making this statement, BYU coach Dave Rose and the Cougars sent a message to Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s and the rest of the WCC that they better not write off these Cougs just yet. These cats still have some fight left in them.
Nate Gagon is a published sports, music, and creative writer. He is also a wholehearted father, grateful husband and ardent student of life. He shoots roughly 94% from the free throw line and can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or @nategagon.
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- BYU, Utah fans react to Max Hall's arrest...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Nebraska transfer Harvey Jackson stepped up...
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 92
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 37
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 34
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28