Michael and Jenet Erickson: Being for traditional marriage does not mean being against anyone
We are conscious in writing that some may read these words and ask, “But what about the sadness that I have felt for so many years? For my loneliness and fear of being rejected before I told my family and friends that I felt attracted to the same sex? For the insults and the jokes and the careless insensitivity at school, at church, at work, and, worst of all, at home? For the noisy harangue that ‘those people’ — me — were destroying society? For tempting, debilitating thoughts that I was never good enough and that God did not love me?”
To any who may ask such questions themselves or on behalf of a loved one, we emphatically agree that must change. You or your loved ones deserve better. All are owed dignity and respect. We are grateful that much of the prejudice and mean-spirited attitudes we witnessed in our youth have diminished significantly. We also recognize that there is a long way to go.
But changing marriage is not the way. Let us work together and find the path that is. With all of the love that we can muster, we say with a clear conscience: To be for marriage, you do not have to be against anyone. There is something unique, special, and sacred about the legal union of a man and a woman. Amendment 3 codified that principle in Utah’s Constitution. To be for it, Utahans need not be against anyone.
Michael Erickson is an attorney. Jenet Erickson is family science researcher. They live in Salt Lake City.
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- George F. Will: Squandered potential:...
- In our opinion: On matters of panhandling or...
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Will Putin's gamble...
- Mike Lee: It will be our ideas that win in 2014
- Letter: Putin's invasion
- Doug Robinson: Dinsmore has made his mark on...
- It doesn't have to be hard for... 60
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration... 52
- Obama shows his funny side while... 40
- Letter: Invite the divine 36
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC 34
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 34
- My view: SB54 will politically and... 30
- Letter: Private political parties 24