High school basketball: Emery subdues Rabbits with an impressive showing in Delta
Emery continued to finish business on Friday, notching another win, this time against Delta on the road. The Spartans were able to push the break and run the Rabbits out of the gym in their 64-46 win.
Emery’s starting frontcourt was stellar once again with Dillon Wilstead the leading scorer for the Spartans with 26 points to go along with four steals and Bailey Faimalo scoring 14 while dishing out eight and picking off five steals.
“We came out on fire ready to play and our defense led to easy fast-break buckets," Faimalo said after the game. "We just outran them.”
Emery came out deadly from deep with all nine of its first nine points coming from behind the arc, which led to an early 18-10 lead at the end of the first.
Delta made its run in the second, however, and cut the Spartans' lead to just three after an 8-0 run. Offensive rebounds were huge in the game for the Spartans who had 18 offensive boards as a team and were able to create second-chance opportunities to cushion the lead to nine, ending the half up 36-27.
“We came out playing well in the start of the game, then we kind of let down in the second quarter,” said Beau Roundy, who was instrumental in the Spartans' dominance on the glass with eight rebounds and both of the team's two blocks. “We came back in the second half and sealed the game. We played pretty great.”
A big 17-point quarter for Emery put the Spartans on top 53-37 after three and they would never look back, cruising for the win. In the third, Emery’s starting point guard Faimalo went out with what appeared to be allergies, causing his eyes to swell up. He didn't return for the Spartans but is now doing well and will be all set to go for Emery’s next game.
Emery faces off against Carbon for the second time this season next Wednesday, this time at home where it will look to sweep the Dinos in their season series and win its last game before starting region play.
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jeremy Guthrie...
- High school sports: Friday's football roundup
- High school cross-country: East junior, Davis...
- 3A volleyball preview: Morgan is this year's...
- Woods Cross airs it out in Region 6 win over...
- High school football: Felt's Facts, week 4, a...
- High school football: 3AA South featured...
- High school football: Herriman overpowers...
- Parry's Power Guide: Week 4 5
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jeremy... 3
- High school football: Felt's Facts,... 2
- Woods Cross airs it out in Region 6 win... 2
- High school sports: Friday's football... 1
- High school football: Herriman... 1
- High school football: Murray wins first... 1
- High school cross-country: East junior,... 1