Globetrotting nurse finds similarities in humanity around the world
To make her travel possible, Cadman lives a modest lifestyle. She lives in a tiny condominium close to campus and commutes by bicycle. She rarely eats out and saves what she doesn't spend on tuition or for donations to various non-governmental organizations on her expeditions.
Cadman has not married and doesn't have kids, which lends more of her "grown-up income" as a professor to her semi-nomadic lifestyle.
"My day-to-day life is pretty busy and focused on academia," she said. "Sometimes I like to disappear to places where I have no Internet or phone and relax in the group I'm with and then come home and dig my heels in again. While I'm in town, I work incredibly hard."
Cadman teaches research and medical ethics courses in the nursing program at Weber State University. She supervises a clinical group each semester at the neighboring hospital, consults part time and takes a few classes herself.
She has a short packing list and makes a quick decision when given the opportunity to go someplace new — or return to a place she's been before.
"There are two kinds of places. Those I've been to and those I haven't been to yet," Cadman jokes. Nepal, for its culture, and New Zealand, for its beauty, top the list of her favorite locales, and places where jobs or missions were inevitably canceled, including Egypt and Bolivia, for different reasons, remain high on her bucket list.
And, surprisingly, of the diverse places she has visited or lived, there is a common thread.
"I love the food. I love the scenery, but the thing I love the most about travel is all the people you get the opportunity to meet," Cadman said. She said that life is similar everywhere.
"It's just people trying to put food on the table for their kids, hold down a good job — the same core things everyone is living for don't change whether you're living in a mud hut, a yurt or a 15-bedroom mansion," she said. "It's all connected, and I like seeing how."
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- New prison site not expected to be named...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 40
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 29
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 23
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 20
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 20
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18