Weber State basketball: Wildcats return home to face Portland State
OGDEN — After opening up Big Sky play with a 74-67 win at Eastern Washington Thursday night, Weber State returns home Saturday night to take on the Portland State Vikings at 7 p.m. inside the Dee Events Center.
The Wildcats fell behind early against EWU but were able to find some rhythm and take the lead for the first time with three minutes left in the first half. They never trailed again.
Freshman Jeremy Senglin came up big for the Wildcats as he finished with a team-high 16 points. Senglin will need to have another productive game to help WSU knock off the Vikings.
Weber State has made its presence known on the defensive end this season, as it ranks near the top of the Big Sky in several defensive categories.
The ‘Cats are first in the Big Sky in field goal percentage defense (40.1 percent) and 3-point percentage defense (30.5 percent).
Weber State (4-5, 1-0) has now won 19 straight Big Sky games at the Dee Events Center and six straight contests against Portland State (5-5, 0-1).
The Vikings are coming off an 87-76 loss at Idaho State Thursday night, and will look to bounce back against Weber State.
The ‘Cats will have their hands full with junior Tim Douglas, who sparks the Viking offense and ranks seventh in the Big Sky in scoring (15.7 ppg), fourth in assists and sixth in steals.
Portland State got off to a hot start to the season by winning four of its first five games, but has now dropped four of its last five contests, including an 0-3 record on the road. The Vikings have now lost 13 straight Big Sky road games heading into their matchup against the Wildcats.
Weber State owns an impressive 20-1 all-time record at home against Portland State.
Ryan Love is a full-time student at the University of Utah studying communications, and has been a part-time sports reporter and scoreboarder for the Deseret News since Oct. 2012.
Follow him on Twitter @RLove7724
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- Brad Rock: Enes Kanter doesn't deserve the abuse
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive meltdown...
- High school basketball: Lone Peak, Murray,...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 126
- Utah's Devontae Booker reportedly... 72
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 45
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 37
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 36
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35