Book review: Author shares lessons, insights into Book of Isaiah
Editor's note: The following is part of a series featuring select materials intended to supplement the study of church curriculum for 2014.
Years of deep study and teaching the words of the prophet Isaiah have blessed the life of author Reg Christensen.
Now Christensen is sharing that knowledge with readers in "Unlocking Isaiah: Lessons and Insights That Draw Us Closer to the Savior." His goal in writing this book is to help inspire a deeper understanding of the messages and themes of the Book of Isaiah.
"The words of Isaiah have enhanced my testimony throughout the years," Christensen wrote in the book's preface. "My simple hope and prayer is that they will do the same for you. I am confident that they will."
Christensen, a retired LDS Church Educational System instructor and coordinator, said his target audience for this book is members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who have likely always known that Isaiah is an important book but have perhaps felt intimidated by it.
"I invite you to lay aside your fears, open your scriptures, pray for personal revelation, and enjoy your journey through Isaiah's sublime testimony of our Savior," Christensen wrote. "Let his poetry and symbolism speak personally to your heart."
Christensen offers three main areas of focus in understanding Isaiah:
1. Come to the temple — imagery and inspiration.
2. The scholarship of "liken unto us."
3. Isaiah in the Book of Mormon and the context of Isaiah — The house of Israel.
"My writing is not intended to be a focused exposition of every verse and teaching of Isaiah," Christensen wrote. "My desire is to share insights I've gained from studying Isaiah and how these insights relate to my time and place in the world. ... If my words herein help to enhance your understanding of Isaiah and your testimony of our Savior, my objective will have been met, and I will be grateful."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to release...
- Temple Square hosts New Year's EVE events
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- What's new: 'Jesus the Christ Study Guide'...
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- Wright Words: My friend David is Christian,...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Getting ready to study...
- 'Unbroken' billed as faith-based film, but...
- Religious freedom and economic growth... 20
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to... 16
- Wright Words: My friend David is... 9
- This is what going to church does to you 9
- It's a 'Christmas break' for many, but... 6
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas... 5
- How churches can attract younger people 4
- Why congregation size matters when it... 2