Real Salt Lake: Luis Gil receives first-ever USMNT call-up, will attend January camp
Matt Gade, Deseret News
Real Salt Lake's young midfielder shined for the U-20 National Team, and now Luis Gil will have his opportunity to prove himself on the big stage.
Gil, along with teammates Kyle Beckerman and Nick Rimando, received an invite to the U.S. Men's National Team's January training camp. The camp will take place Jan. 7-12 in California at the L.A. Galaxy's StubHub Center. Twenty-three players will head to Brazil to continue training from Jan. 13-25, and the rest will stay in Carson.
In U20 play, Gil established himself as an on-field leader. The standout midfielder scored one goal and recorded one assist in the U-20 World Cup last summer. Prior to that, he also played a huge role in the 2013 CONCACAF U-20 Championship last February and March in Mexico. He scored two goals as he helped the U.S. qualify for the U-20 World Cup.
Beckerman appeared in 10 matches for the USMNT in 2013 and managed two assists during his stint with the team. He was honored with CONCACAF Gold Cup MVP honors after the United States beat Panama to win the tournament. Rimando made six starts, recorded two shutouts and allowed a mere four goals for the USMNT during Gold Cup play.
All three will miss Real Salt Lake's first leg of the 2014 preseason.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Best in class: Breaking down the recruiting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35