Westminster basketball: fourth-ranked Griffins defeat No. 16 Carroll in Helena
The fourth-ranked Westminster College women’s basketball team opened the new year with a 23-point victory at 16th-ranked Carroll, 69-46, in Frontier Conference action Thursday night.
Westminster (8-2, 2-0 Frontier) held a 20-15 lead at the 8:55 mark of the opening half before scoring the next 12 points of the game en route to a 32-17 halftime lead. The Griffins then came out after the intermission and shot 42.9 percent from the floor in the second half to cruise to the road victory.
Westminster, the Frontier’s top-shooting team, finished the game at 44.4 percent and improved on its NAIA-leading 3-point field goal percentage by going 11-of-20 from beyond the arc. The Griffins had a 38-30 advantage on the boards with 13 offensive rebounds accounting for 19 points. They held Carroll (7-6, 0-2) to 37.2 percent shooting and forced 13 turnovers.
Tia Pappas led four Griffins in double figures with 15 points on 6-of-14 shooting. She also led the team with nine rebounds, grabbing seven of them on the offensive end. Amy Krommenhoek went 4-of-5 from three and finished with 14 points off the bench. Alli Winters improved her NAIA-best 3-point shooting by making 4-of-5 to finish with 12 points. Shelby Ellsworth had 10 points and seven rebounds with Alli Blake chipping in six assists.
Bailey Snelling was the only Carroll player with more than six points as she finished with 16.
The Griffins now return home for the first time since Nov. 8 when they welcome Montana Tech to the Behnken Field House on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. MST.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37