Westminster basketball: fourth-ranked Griffins defeat No. 16 Carroll in Helena
The fourth-ranked Westminster College women’s basketball team opened the new year with a 23-point victory at 16th-ranked Carroll, 69-46, in Frontier Conference action Thursday night.
Westminster (8-2, 2-0 Frontier) held a 20-15 lead at the 8:55 mark of the opening half before scoring the next 12 points of the game en route to a 32-17 halftime lead. The Griffins then came out after the intermission and shot 42.9 percent from the floor in the second half to cruise to the road victory.
Westminster, the Frontier’s top-shooting team, finished the game at 44.4 percent and improved on its NAIA-leading 3-point field goal percentage by going 11-of-20 from beyond the arc. The Griffins had a 38-30 advantage on the boards with 13 offensive rebounds accounting for 19 points. They held Carroll (7-6, 0-2) to 37.2 percent shooting and forced 13 turnovers.
Tia Pappas led four Griffins in double figures with 15 points on 6-of-14 shooting. She also led the team with nine rebounds, grabbing seven of them on the offensive end. Amy Krommenhoek went 4-of-5 from three and finished with 14 points off the bench. Alli Winters improved her NAIA-best 3-point shooting by making 4-of-5 to finish with 12 points. Shelby Ellsworth had 10 points and seven rebounds with Alli Blake chipping in six assists.
Bailey Snelling was the only Carroll player with more than six points as she finished with 16.
The Griffins now return home for the first time since Nov. 8 when they welcome Montana Tech to the Behnken Field House on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. MST.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school boys basketball: Pine View wins...
- High school boys basketball: Manti stuns...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29